Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tai Chi - A Way of Life

For quite some time now, I've been an avid reader of the Dynamic Balancing Tai Chi blog. I discovered the site few years back - just as I surf my way through the lists of blogs in Blogger_Com. Their messages convey the serenely strong and yet simple principles of Tai Chi. I think it's beautiful and will be such a waste not to share with you and explore it with me.

Since I used to be a martial arts enthusiast, that is of course before the bulging tummies, I stopped and read few posts and been a regular visitor since then. I learned that basic principle of the Tai Chi is acceptance and the power to seize an opposing force by means of a peaceful retaliation or better, avoidance. It is pushing the principle that you can not always fight violence with violence but rather use the opposing force against itself. It is I guess the most basic and fundamental of all forms of martial arts.

Like language, Tai Chi becomes a poetry of motion. Not merely a symphony of muscles and bones but is a principle of self-defense. A principle not just against a violent oppressor but against issues implicating one's life. One example is marriage, my old grandparents, they told me when I got married, 'this has been an age old advise for your marriage to work: in cases you and your wife need to argue something, like the river that flows freely towards the ocean, so should both of you accept and listen to each other's heart and work hand in hand towards a resolution.

As Confucius had said, "Like the water that fits itself into the vessel, so should one fits himself into any circumstances".

Allow me to give you a glimpse further into Tai Chi from one of the teacher's 2001 posts:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 14 December 2001

Yes

Try being accommodating and receptive for a day. Say "Yes!" to everything: agree, accept, approve, receive. Yield and yield and yield. Let those barriers soften and fade. Be fearless.
(From http://dynamicbalancingtaichi.blogspot.com)

I encourage you to visit the site as well. They might enlighten your thoughts and spirit.

 

No comments:

Blog Hang-outs __________________________________________________________

Disclaimer

Please note that the opinions expressed on this site are my own, and don't necessarily reflect those of anybody.