Monday, May 31, 2010

Pinoy in Seychelles

I haven’t looked into this blog for so long now and been thinking of starting to post few words beginning today for you to read. Next to social networking in Facebook, blogging is a fine avenue for me to fighting my longing for home. I know, my wife would be my finest reader.

DSC03064I arrived in Seychelles after long hours of travel sometime five o’clock in the morning. I never had problems with the immigration. Went on my way out into this simple airport terminal. Had a few moments meeting with the ‘kababayans’ who now had to embark on flight back home. They were on their way for a month vacation since IOT, as season, had to shutdown operation because of operational conditions. Certain things in their operations they said had to be prepared, upgraded and diagnosed before succumbing their staff again on long hours of fishing and canning activities. Actually, I happened to chat with one of their staff, Ate Tess while waiting for somebody to pick me up. She was an admin staff and had to brought the women for their vacation.

From the airport, I was fetched by my boss himself whose company and himself was kind enough to accommodate into this modest hotel in Beau Vallon. This is the picture I came to see immediately the day I arrived at the hotel.  The pool was nice but never ever occurred to me to feel like taking a plunge. The sight was overwhelming to me and the the mountains are breathtaking – that was enough for me for now.

DSC03286 I was asked by my boss if it’s OK for me to go on tour the island and meet his family for lunch date in the afternoon after a short nap. I guess the fact that I was now here in Seychelles eludes me into forgetting I was exhausted from the flight travel. Well, I actually had a short nap but never got to sleep because my mind was set to thinking about home. I could not believed I was actually away this far from my wife, my two girls and a two month old boy who I know would be alienated by me by the time I get home in a year time.

DSC03159

A lot of things to notice – like the narrow road system and how people are so used to driving it without bumping on a head-course and avoiding the unsafe cliffs just few inches from the car door. I was sure there had been scenarios of such accident before. There will always be mishaps however careful you are in driving. Nevertheless, there’s just these tremendous awe that I immediately admire on this island. The people they said are warm – I will have to find out. You will have few setbacks with few locals however careful and friendly you maybe. Perhaps, they must have the exact same doubt I was feeling then towards foreigners like me.

During the night, I did try to buy food at the beach for dinner because food outside was cheaper and in variety. Later found out, dinner was covered as well in the accommodation. It only happened once or twice with me accompanied by Dimitri, a Ukranian guy. Unfortunately, I was never impressed with the venue that much because the place is littered with drunk kids and who knows what. I was afraid we could get attacked anytime. Surprisingly, though, there were foreigners strolling the beach lines picking up some foods for dinner. Even brought with them children.

P1060052Dima - I would find out later that this guy is cool and good at the industry he was working on. As for me, I would have to find out what I was going to be and what I was here for exactly. What I was aware of is for me to just write codes, do some testing and impress customers. After a lot of lessons learned during my past career, I would now need to re-drive my attitude and focus on towards making the best of myself for the benefit of others – especially my employer. I realized I would now prepare and recognize my values worthy to receive the blessings ahead of me and my family back home.

No comments:

Blog Hang-outs __________________________________________________________

Disclaimer

Please note that the opinions expressed on this site are my own, and don't necessarily reflect those of anybody.